CURRY WATCHERS - MAKE IT HEALTHY 2021
Kavita Ramakrishnan - India
Sago Fruit Custard
Sago Fruit Custard is a healthy easy and simple recipe with minimum ingredients. This can be served during fasting. Traditional vannila/ any fruit essence can be added. But I wanted the banana flavour to dominate. So just avoided.
* Soak Sago with 1/2 cup of water for 1 hr.
* In a heavy bottom pan add soaked Sago and 1/2 cup of water and cook on medium flame.
* Once Sago cooks well/ transparent add milk and cook for 5 more minutes. Switch off the stove.
* Add jaggery powder and mix well.
* Cut fruits. Allow the Sago custard to cool. Add the fruits and mix well.
* You can chill in refrigerator and serve. Please do try and provide your comments.
Sago / Javarsi - 3 tablespoons
Milk - 1/2 cup / 120 ml
Jaggery powder- 2 tablespoons
Mixed fruits - 1 cup (apple, bannana, guava, grapes)
Beetroot Paratha is a perfect finger food / toddler special recipe. An easy, simple very healthy can be served in main course / for lunch box special.
* Boil beetroot and make puree.
* Add whole wheat flour, beetroot puree, crushed kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves, turmeric powder, chilli powder, Onion seeds, salt mix well. Sprinkle water and knead a soft dough not too soft / stiff. Add some oil and knead and cover it.
* Rest the dough for 10 minutes.
*Make medium size balls.
* Dust some whole wheat flour in the rolling pin and start rolling the dough to form circle. Not very thin.
* Heat a pan add some oil.
* Cook the rolled beetroot paratha on the tawa / pan. Flip after 30 sec.
* Drizzle some oil and cook the beetroot paratha well.
* Remove from pan / tawa.
* Serve with a dolap of butter.
Beetroot puree - 1/4 cup
Whole wheat flour- 1 cup
Kasuri methi - 1/2 tsp
Onion seeds - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2-3 tablespoons
Salt - 1.5 tsp / according to taste
Water- as required to knead dough
Meethe Chawal / Zarda Pulav
Authentic Meethe Chawal is prepared with Basmati rice. Today I've prepared this Meethe Chawal with Jeeraga Samba rice. This recipe is prepared in North India for Vasanth Panchami.
* Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
* Boil 2.5 cups of water add 1 bay leaf, 1 cardoman, cinnamon,cloves, soaked rice and cook for 10 minutes. Or rice is 80% cooked.
* Strain the rice.
* In a pan heat ghee on medium flame. Fry cashew, badam, raisins and keep it aside.
* In the same pan add bay leaf, turmeric powder, cardoman, sugar & 1/2 cup of water. Let sugar melt well.
* Add cooked rice(80% cooked) saffron soaked in milk.
* Mix well and let it cook on medium flame for 10 minutes.
* Once rice is cooked allow it to cool for some time.
* Mix with a fork and add fried cashew, badam & raisins.
Meethe Chawal is ready to serve.
Raw Rice - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 1 tablespoon
Cashew, badam, raisins - 1 tablespoons
Bay leaves- 2 nos
Cardamom - 2 nos
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch
Cloves -2 nos
Turmeric powder- 1/ 4 TSP
Saffron soaked in milk - 2 tablespoons
Water - 3 cups