CURRY WATCHERS - MAKE IT HEALTHY 2021
Betty Fernandes - United States
Mushroom in red sauce
1. Grind all ingredients for the red sauce and keep aside.
2. In a heated saucepan, add peanut butter and 1 tbs oil
3. Add the mushrooms, baby corn, and green beans (season with salt and pepper)
4. Let it cook for a while until tender
1. Saute onions with olive oil until golden brown
2. Add the pureed tomato and let it cook for a while around 4 mins on med heat heat
3. Add the red sauce and stir well on medium-low heat making sure the nutty ingredients with dairy do not get burned
4. Let the sauce cook for around15 mins, add some water to make a medium-thick consistency
5. Add the cooked mushroom, beans, and baby corn to the sauce and let it cook for another 15 mins.
6. Add chilli powder if you like it spicy along with 2 tbs of tomato concentrate/paste
7. For garnish add fresh coriander and onion slices
7. Serve this Mushroom in red sauce with roti, brown rice, millet rice or couscous
This recipe is healthy because there is no processed synthetic oil or fat and yet so delicious to the palate. Excellent for a weekend treat.
Button mushroom (350 gm)
Baby corn (3-4 nos) chop each into 2 or 3 pieces
Green beans (8-10 nos) chop into two pieces
Fresh tomato puree (2 med size)
Finely chopped onions (2 large size)
Cold-pressed olive oil or rapeseed oil (2 tbs)
Peanut butter (1 tbs)
Kashmiri red dry chillies (6-7 nos)
Coriander seeds (2 tbs)
Cardamon (1 tbs powder) or 10 whole green cardamons
Almonds or cashew ( 1tbs)
Peanuts (1 tbs)
Yogurt as required for blending
Veggie Paneer Toastie
1. Lightly toast the bread slices
2. Layer paneer as the base layer
3. Add chilies, onion, tomato, salt, and pepper
4. Add a bit of panner
5. Add red, green cabbage, salt, and pepper
6. Add chilies, onion, tomato, salt, and pepper
7. Final layer, layer the rest of the paneer
8. Optional: you can add chili flakes or chat masala powder between the layers.
9. Bake in a pre-heated oven (med heat) for around 15-20 mins.
10. This crunchy healthy Veggie Paneer Toastie can be served as a late breakfast on a weekend or a snack any day.
Tip: For crunchy and fresh cabbage strips, soak the cabbage leaves in cold or ice water in advance for an hour or overnight.
1. Wholemeal bread (2 med size)
2. Paneer grated (1 cup)
3. Red cabbage chopped into fine strips (half cup)
4. Green cabbage chopped into fine strips (half cup)
5. Chopped red bell pepper (half cup)
6. Finely chopped green chilies (2 med size)
7. Finely chopped tomato (1 small)
8. Finely chopped onion (1 small)
9. Salt and pepper (as required)
Fruity Veggie Smoothie
1. Chop all fruits and veggies
2. Blend to make a smoothie
This smoothie is full of healthy fruit, veggie, and herbs for a mid-day quench or a morning ritual for two.
Apple (half med size)
Plum (half med size)
Orange (half large size)
Avocado (half med size)
Aloe vera (2&half inch)
Tomato (half med size)
Mint leaves (1tbs)
Chia seeds (1 tsp) optional
Honey (1 tsp) optional
Coconut water, mineral water, ice (small amount) as required consistency